Moncton Victorias Hockey Team Post Card Vintage Hockey Memorabilia
Vintage Hockey Memorabilia, Hockey Autographs, Hockey Team Photos, Game Used Hockey Memorabilia
Marshall Cup Hockey Trophy
Hockey Memorabilia
Buying Hockey Memorabilia
Game Used Hockey Memorabilia
George Hainsworth Tribute
Vintage Hockey Autographs
Vintage Hockey Photos
Vintage Hockey Postcards
Hockey Trophies
Murray Murdoch Rangers Legend
NHL Team Photos
Pacific Coast Hockey League Memorabilia
Portland Buckaroos (WHL) Team Photos
Wire Photos
Hockey Links
Site Map
Vintage Hockey Autographs, Autographed Memorabilia, Page 1
1933 Toronto Maple Leafs program cover with autographs of Chuck Gardiner, Charlie Conacher, King Clancy, Happy Day and Joe Primeau
1932leafssignedcover.JPG (649269 bytes)
1933 Toronto Maple Leafs program cover with hockey autographs of the following players:
Toronto Maple Leafs - Charlie Conacher, King Clancy, Joe Primeau, Happy Day, Bob Gracie, Ken Doraty and Alex Levinsky. For the Chicago Blackhawks - Charlie Gardiner and Roger Jenkins.
In 1933-34 Charlie "The Big Bomber" would lead all NHL goal scorers with 32 goals and 20 assists in 42 games. Finishing second in the scoring race was his teammate Joe Primeau, with 14 goals and 32 assists in 45 games. Charlie Gardiner would win the Vezina Trophy and lead all goaltenders that year with a 1.73 G.A.A. and 10 shutouts in 48 games. Gardiner would also backstop the Hawks to their first ever Stanley Cup win in 1934. Tragically though he would pass away two months later following a brain operation.
Aubrey Dit Clapper autographed 8" x 10" photo
ditclappersignedphoto.jpg (136050 bytes)
Throughout his career, Dit Clapper was a respected leader on the ice and in the dressing room. This quality was an asset after he retired and become a coach in the NHL and the American Hockey League.
After a year of seasoning with the Boston Tigers of the CanAm league, Clapper was sold to the Bruins in October 1927, and he'd remain in the Bruins' lineup for the next 20 years - becoming the first 20-year man in NHL history. As an experiment, Boston coach Art Ross used Clapper as a right wing, and "Dit" adjusted well to his new position. He scored a key goal in the Bruins' first-ever Stanley Cup win in 1928-29, which came at the expense of the New York Rangers in a best-of-three finals.
Eventually Clapper formed the ever-dangerous Dynamite Line with Cooney Weiland and Dutch Gainor. This unit reached its peak during the 1929-30 season when it led Boston to a 38-5-1 regular-season mark. Clapper scored 41 goals in 44 games, second only to Weiland's 43. In 1931 and 1935 Clapper was chosen as the right wing on the NHL Second All-Star Team.
By the 1937-38 season, Boston was in need of an overhaul. Meanwhile, the Kraut Line of Milt Schmidt, Woody Dumart and Bobby Bauer had taken on the lion's share of the scoring chores. Clapper was therefore moved back to his original position on defense, and he played some of the best hockey of his career. The work of Dit Clapper and Eddie Shore was crucial to Boston's win over the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1939 Stanley Cup finals, and between 1939 and 1941 he was named to the NHL First All-Star Team three consecutive times.
Clapper demonstrated his well-known sportsmanship when he scored his 200th career goal at Maple Leaf Gardens on January 8, 1941. After the game, he presented the stick he used to reach this milestone to Frank Selke as a token of his admiration. Later that year, Clapper contributed five playoff assists as the Bruins won their third Stanley Cup by sweeping Detroit in four straight games.
During the 1941-42 season, Clapper suffered a severed tendon and it was believed that the injury would end his career. Typically, Clapper's resilience and determination inspired him to return the following year with his customary effective play. After the 1943-44 schedule, Clapper was chosen to the NHL Second All-Star Team. In 1945-46, he assumed the role of player-coach and guided the Bruins to a Stanley Cup finals against the eventual champions, the Montreal Canadiens. The following year, unhappy with his diminishing ability, the 41-year-old retired as a player six games into the season.
In an emotional ceremony at the Boston Garden on February 12, 1947, Dit Clapper was honored for his many accomplishments and the Bruins retired his number 5 sweater. In all, Clapper recorded 228 goals and 474 points in the regular season as well as 13 playoff goals. He was the Bruins captain from 1932 to 1938 and again from 1939 until his retirement in 1947. He also served as the Bruins' coach for four seasons and led the team to 78 regular-season wins.
Clapper was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1947 when the customary waiting period was waived in recognition of his obvious greatness.
1931-32 Boston Bruins autographs on "Vulture Style" gloves
3132bruinsglove1.jpg (106002 bytes) 3132bruinsglove2.jpg (178661 bytes)
3132bruinsglove3.jpg (142908 bytes) 3132bruinsglove4.jpg (182443 bytes)
These autographs on these gloves are a little faint due to the absorption into the leather, however they are still incredible for their age.
The gloves are signed/autographed by the following players.
Left glove: Aubrey "Dit" Clapper, Ralph "Cooney" Weiland, Frank "Joe" Jerwa and Bill Touhey.
Right glove: Eddie Shore, Irwin "Yank" Boyd, Percy "Perk" Gailbraith, Dit Clapper and Harry Oliver.

In 1931-32 the Boston Bruins finished the season with a record of 15 wins, 21 losses and 12 ties. Their top goal scorer was HOF'er Marty Barry with 21 goals and their points leader (with 39 points) was "Dit" Clapper with 17 goals and 22 assists.
Cecil "Tiny" Thompson finished fourth among all goaltenders with a 2.42 G.A.A, and lead the league with 9 shutouts.
1928-29 New York Americans autographed team photo
2829nyamericans.jpg (73262 bytes)
This photo of the New York Americans was taken in Portland, Oregon when the New York Americans came to Portland to play the Portland Buckaroos, of the Pacific Coast Hockey League. This photo came from the estate of Aubrey Webster who played for the Buckaroos in 1939 and 1940.
The photo is signed by (left to right): Tex "Wilfred" White, Joe "Bullet" Simpson (HOF),Harryá Connor, Johnny "Jake" Sheppard, Lionel "Big Train" Conacher (HOF),Charlie "Rabbit" McVeigh, Billy Burch (HOF), Roy "Shrimp" Worters (HOF), Leo Reise Sr. and Tommie Gorman (HOF). It also has an inscription in the lower right corner that says:
To our friend Babe, from the "Gang".

The Americans finished the 1929 season in second place in the Canadian Division, behind the Montreal Canadiens with a record of 19 wins, 13 losses and 12 draws (ties). Their leading goal scorer was Billy Burch, who finished with 11 goals and 5 assists.
In the Play-Offs the Americans lost a two games series against the New York Rangers,áby a combined score of 1-0.á
Lorne Chabot autographed album page and original 1934-35 C.C.M. Skates photo
chabotauto.jpg (15455 bytes) chabotphoto.jpg (57896 bytes)
Lorne "Chabotsky" Chabot was one of the greatest goaltenders to play the game. He started his hockey career by leading the Port Arthur's to consecutive Allan Cup champioships in 1925 and 1926. He then was signed by Conn Smythe to play for the New York Rangers. As a rookie Chabot won 22 of 36 games he appeared in and had 10 shutouts. He then went on several years later to goaltend the 1931-32 Toronto Maple Leafs to the franchises first ever Stanley Cup victory. Chabot also played for the Montreal Canadiens, Chicago Blackhawks and Montreal Maroons before retiring with the New York Americans in 1937. Chabot averaged 20 wins and 7 shutouts per season (in an era when teams played no more than 48 games in a year). His career GA average was a miniscule 2.04. He also was an NHL All Star and Vezina trophy winner in 1935.

His NHL career totals are as follows:
201 wins, 73 shutouts, 2.04 GA everage.
1939 NHL Stanley Cup Champion, Boston Bruins, team signed program insert
3839bruins2.jpg (86641 bytes)3839bruins1.jpg (85513 bytes)
These pages (pasted into a scrapbook) are from a 1939 program of the Boston Bruins, who won the Stanley Cup in 1939.
These pages have been autographed by the following Bruins:
Art Ross (HOF), Eddie Shore (HOF), Dit Clapper (HOF), Milt Schmidt (HOF), Woody Dumart (HOF), Bobby Bauer (HOF), Bill Cowley (HOF), Cooney Weiland (HOF), Frank Brimsek (HOF), Jack Crawford, Charles Sands, Roy Conacher, Ray Getliffe, Gordon Pettinger and Jack Portland.
Eddie Shore autographed "Complimentary Dinner Program for Eddie Shore", March 6th, 1933
shoredinner1.jpg (104372 bytes) shoredinner2.jpg (90172 bytes) shoredinner3.jpg (275560 bytes)
shoredinner4.jpg (176026 bytes) shoredinner5.jpg (249228 bytes) shoredinner6.jpg (82550 bytes)
This program signed by Eddie Shore is for a special dinner that was held in his honor on March 6, 1933 at the Copley Plaza in Boston.
Eddie Shore was one of the top defensemen ever to play in the NHL. Shore was a dangerous scorer and passer and one of the roughest players of his era. Shore was actually a forward who was converted to defense when he joined the Edmonton Eskimos of the Western Hockey League in 1925. Shore joined the Bruins when pro hockey in the West turned sour.
Upon joining the Bruins for the 1926-27 season, Shore demonstrated his physical style to the rest of the league by actually skating over players who got in his way. He would knock them down, skate over them, whatever it took to get to where he wanted to be on the ice. But Shore was not a goon; he was a highly skilled player with great stick handling ability and was tough to knock off the puck. His end to end rushes were a sight to be seen.
Eddie Shore was elected to the NHL First Team All-Star squad 7 of the first 9 years the award was given. He is a four time Hart Trophy winner and won 2 Stanley Cup Championships with the Boston Bruins, first in 1929, and then ten years later in 1939. His Bruins sat atop the American Division 8 times while Shore was on board.
Shore bought the Springfield Indians of the American Hockey League in 1939, playing with the squad that season. He also played some home games with the Bruins that year, but as Boston management grew frustrated with the arrangement, Shore was traded to the New York Americans which became his last NHL team as his NHL career ended that year. Shore ran the Indians until 1978 and also owned teams in Fort Worth (USHL), Oakland (PCHL), and New Haven.
Turk Broda autographed Beehive photo
brodabeehive.jpg (59567 bytes)
Broda grew up in Manitoba and was developed as a player in the Detroit minor system, playing with the Olympics in 1935/36. He was discovered by Leafs owner Conn Smythe, who was in Detroit to check out another goalie, Earl Robertson. But when Smythe saw Broda at the other end, he immediately contacted Jack Adams of the Red Wings about acquiring Broda, which he did for just $7,500 cash. Broda joined the Leafs that fall and remained the crease guardian in Toronto for most of the next 15 years.
Turk's outgoing style made him hugely popular with Leafs fans and loved by his teammates. "The Leafs pay me for my work in practices," he joked, "and I throw in the games for free." His first stint with the Leafs lasted until 1943 and included the historic Cup of 1942, when the Leafs rebounded from a 3-0 series deficit to beat Detroit in seven games. But in 1943 Broda joined the army and went off to England for two years, primarily to play hockey.
When he was discharged in 1945, he went straight to the Gardens and resumed practicing with the team. He was back in the nets, and there he stayed for four more Stanley Cup finals, three in a row from 1947 to 1949 and one more in 1951 in which all five games went into overtime against Montreal. "I couldn't beat him. Toe Blake couldn't. None of the Canadiens could," Maurice Richard said after that series. Broda played the entire season in goal in eight of his 11 seasons, and part of two others, leading the league in shutouts twice. But for all his fame and glory, he's also remembered for his weight problems, which Conn Smythe used as a kind of playful publicity stunt.
Smythe ended Broda's run of more than 200 starts in a row when he ordered Broda out of the goal until he got his weight down to 189 pounds. For days afterward, newspaper articles showed the smiling goalie sitting on a scale eating steak or drinking juice for dinner in an effort to lose the poundage. Broda joined a fitness club and took up handball to stay lean, and his wife, Betty, became famous for being the one person who could help him lose weight and save the city's team.
Broda in practice was also famous. When the players had to skate laps around the ice, coach Day would skate directly behind Broda, who was in full equipment, hollering at him to keep up and join the race. When in goal, Broda would face wave after wave of shots, then Day would take the goalie's stick away and force him to stop another series of pucks using only his arms and legs.
He retired after playing only one game in the 1951-52 season. Broda was accorded a special night at the Gardens by Conn Smythe, one of the rarest honors bestowed upon a Leaf. That night came on December 22, 1951, and players and executives from Toronto, the opposing Bruins and every other NHL team gathered to pay respects to one of the greatest goalies of all time.
He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967.
Turk Broda autographed hockey puck; Seaside, Canada 1951
brodapuck.jpg (33588 bytes)
I bought this puck from the original owner, Tom Strizic who wrote a letter about how he acquired the puck. He states the following:
I hope that you will enjoy this puck. To give you a little history of this puck. This puck was given to me by Turk Broda in 1951. Turk Broda lived on the same street as my uncle in Seaside. He used to play hockey in the street with the kids. One day I asked him for an autograph. He said, "I'll do better than that". He went into the house and came out with this puck. So, enjoy like I enjoyed for the past 50 years.

Jimmy Ward signed team photo and letter to a fan
maroonsward.jpg (689726 bytes) wardletter.jpg (277558 bytes) wardletter2.jpg (241340 bytes)
The photo and letter above are both autographed by the deceased Montreal Maroon great - Jimmy Ward. The photo on the left is a vintage print of the 1934-35 Montreal Maroons.
Jimmy Ward wrote to Roger Harris in the early 70's and in the letter he writes the following:
Dear Roger, It is a pleasure to have a request for my autograph at my age. I turned professional with the Montreal Maroons in 1927, at the age of 19, and my first game for Montreal was the first time I had ever seen a National Hockey League game. In my first year I scored the only goal to beat the Canadiens 1-0, after they had gone 22 games without a loss. I also think winning the Stanley Cup in 1935 was quite a thrill. However my greatest satisfaction was being considered one of the finest two way hockey players over my span of eleven years in N.H.L. Sincerely, Jimmy Ward.

1938 New York Americans autographed letterhead with team photo & envelope
americansenv.jpg (24897 bytes) americanauto.jpg (85606 bytes) americanphoto.jpg (37156 bytes)
The three items above are from the 1937-38 New York Americans. They were sold to me by the original owner, Jack Brown who lives in New Brunswick, Canada. He obtained these items as a young man by writing to the New York Americans and asking for the players autographs. In response, they sent him the team addressed envelope (above left), team photo (above right) and the team letterhead (above center) signed by each player. The autographs on the letterhead include the following players (in the order that they signed): Earl Robertson, Joe Jerwa, Al Murray, "Happy" Day (HOF), Johnny Gallagher, Nelson Stewart (HOF), Art Chapman, Tommy Anderson, Lorne Carr, Eddie Wiseman, Dave Schriner (HOF), Joe Lamb, Jack Shill, Happy Emms, Dede Klein, Hooley Smith (HOF), Ching Johnson (HOF) and Mervyn Red Dutton (HOF).
HOF'er Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde autographed 3 x 5
lalonde3x5.jpg (13077 bytes)
The above item was signed by deceased HOF'er Edouard "Newsy" Lalonde. He signed it on February 6, 1970 while living in a Nursing home in Montreal.

A native of Cornwall, Ontario, Newsy Lalonde earned his nickname by working in a local newsprint plant as a youth. In 1907 Lalonde joined the Toronto club of the newly formed Ontario Professional Hockey League. This was where he first gained wide attention by winning the scoring race with 29 goals in only nine games. The Toronto squad captured the inaugural OPHL crown that year but lost out to the Montreal Wanderers in the Stanley Cup challenge. Lalonde played a second year in Toronto before moving to the newly formed Montreal Canadiens National Hockey Association franchise in 1910. Partway through the season he was traded to the Renfrew Millionaires, but this only enhanced his performance. On March 11, 1910, he scored nine goals in one game, an NHA record that was never beaten and only equaled by Tommy Smith. He also won the league's inaugural scoring title. In 1911-12, Lalonde headed west to play with the Vancouver Millionaires of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, where he led the league with 27 goals. The next year he returned to the Canadiens and won another NHA scoring championship. His offensive gifts were a significant factor behind the franchise's first Stanley Cup title in 1915-16. Lalonde remained with the Canadiens when the club joined the NHL in 1917-18. His scoring continued and he led all NHL scorers in 1918-19 and 1920-21. On January 19, 1920, he scored six goals in one game. After a falling out with Canadiens owner Leo Dandurand, he was traded to the Saskatoon Sheiks for Aurel Joliat in a move that benefited both parties. In his first year in Saskatchewan, playing coach Lalonde added the Western Canada Hockey League scoring title to his list of accomplishments. Lalonde returned to the NHL as coach of the New York Americans in 1927. He also coached the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens before leaving the game for good in 1935. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1950.

Boston Bruins letter signed by HOF'er Art Ross along with contract documents
artross.jpg (70265 bytes) rossenvelope.jpg (22932 bytes) rossletter1.jpg (103398 bytes)
The three items above all came from the estate of Lloyd Durham who played in the USHL and AHL from 1948-1957. The first letter w/envelope (above left) is an invitation from the Boston Bruins, signed by HOF'er Art Ross, to report to the Bruins on September 6, 1947 in St. Catherines.á The other letter (above center) is an agreement to potentially enter into a Contract with the St. Louis Flyers of the AHL in 1944.
HOF'er Frank Boucher handwritten, autographed Madison Square Garden letterhead
boucherletter.jpg (60503 bytes)
A very clever center who became an innovative coach, Boucher joined the Northwest Mounted Police at seventeen, then paid $50 to buy his way out so he could play professional hockey. He began his career with Ottawa in 1921. After one season there, he played for the Vancouver Millionaires in the Pacific Coast Hockey League from 1922-23 through 1926-27, then joined the New York Rangers of the NHL.
He was nicknamed "Raffles" after the gentleman thief in E. W. Hornung's stories because of his puck-stealing ability and his consistently clean play. Boucher won the Lady Byng Trophy, for combining sportsmanship with a high level of play, seven times in eight years, so the NHL finally gave it to him to keep in 1935 and had a new one made.
For much of his time with the Rangers, he centered Bill Cook at right wing and Bill's brother Bun at left wing. Boucher led the NHL's American Division with 35 points in 1927-28 and was among the top ten scorers six other times. He retired after the 1937-38 season and became the Rangers' coach in 1939.
Boucher was the first coach to pull his goaltender for an extra skater late in the game, and he developed the box defense for killing penalties. He also taught his teams to attack when short-handed; in 1939-40, when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup, they scored almost twice as many goals on opponents' power plays as the opposition did.
In 1942, Boucher proposed adding the red line to the hockey to speed up play. He later explained, "My thought was that hockey had become a see-saw affair. Defending teams were jammed in their own end for minutes because they couldn't pass their way out against the new five-man attack." At that time, teams weren't allowed to pass the puck out of the defensive zone; when the red line was added for the 1943-44 season, the rule was changed to allow passing from behind the blue line up to the red line.
Boucher made a brief comeback as a player in 1944, but gave it up after fifteen games. He was replaced as the Rangers' coach during the 1948-49 season, returned to the job in 1953, and retired for good before the season was over.
HOF'er Frank Nighbor "Pembrooke Peach" autographed letterhead
nighborletter.jpg (74734 bytes)
Frank Nighbor was one of the NHL's first great players. He had played in the PCHA(Pacific Coast Hockey Association) and the NHA(National Hockey Association), the forerunner to the NHL. Nighbor played his early hockey in his hometown of Pembroke with the Pembroke Debators in 1910-11. From here he moved onto the Port Arthur Bearcats in 1911-12, and then to the Toronto Blueshirts of the NHA, in 1912-13.
In his first professional season with the Blueshirts he bagged 25 goals, 0 assists for 25 points in 19 games. The 1913-14 season saw Frank jump to the Vancouver Millionaires of the PCHA where he played for two seasons, and was voted to the PCHA First All Star Team in 1915. Here, with team mates Cyclone Taylor and Mickey MacKay, Nighbor led Vancouver to the Stanley Cup, defeating his future team, the Ottawa Senators. In the two seasons he was with Vancouver, Frank managed to score 33 goals, 12 assists for 45 points in 28 games, well over a point a game.
In the early days of hockey players were paid hefty sums of money to move from league to league. It was not uncommon for players to play in several different leagues over their careers, each time, making more money. Frank Nighbor was no different, so in 1915-16 he jumped to the NHA's Ottawa Senators. It should be noted here that the Ottawa Senators had 2 teams in the NHL. The first played from 1917 to 1934 and the second team began in 1992.
While in his final season in the NHA, Frank tied Joe Malone with 41 goals to lead the league in goals. The Ottawa Senators moved to the NHL when it was formed in 1917. Frank wasted little time in establishing himself as a scoring threat in the new NHL in its inaugural season of 1917-18. In 10 games he scored 11 goals and 8 assists. Frank's production increased over the next two seasons. In 1919-20 Nighbor had 26 goals, 15 assists in 23 games and also led the league in Playoff scoring and points with 6 goals, 1 assist for 7 points. In that same year, Ottawa won it's first ever Stanley Cup, defeating the Seattle Metropolitans. Although the 1919-20 season was Frank's pinnacle season in terms of point production, it didn't stop him from continuing to be a dominating force in the new NHL. He continued to be in the top 10 scoring list until the end of the 1920-21 season, and then later reappeared on the list in 1925-26.
It has been recorded that Frank possessed a skating ability rivaled by few players of his era. His playmaking prowess and great defensive ability made him a threat no matter where he was on the ice. Before the NHL was formed, Nighbor had twice scored 6 goals in a game, a number which by today's standards would rank him second in most goals in a game, and he would be only the second player in any era to have done it twice, Joe Malone had a 7 and a 6 goal game in his career. Frank was the first recipient of the Lady Byng Trophy in 1925, and a year later he became the first winner of the Hart Trophy.
One of the NHL's true all time greats, Frank was named to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1947.
HOF goalie Terry Sawchuk signed program and photo
sawchuk2.jpg (378032 bytes) sawchuckau.jpg (16163 bytes)
Record books show that Terry Sawchuk was one of the greatest goaltenders ever to play in the NHL. He played in 21 seasons with five different teams. His 103 career shutouts set a record that might never be broken. Sawchuk did a tremendous amount for the game of hockey, but it's a shame to see what hockey ended up doing to him.
Sawchuk entered the league in 1951 as a bright young prospect with the Detroit Red Wings. He played all 70 games for the Wings that season, compiling 11 shutouts and a goals against average of 1.98. He was awarded the Calder Trophy for his spectacular play. Things went well for Sawchuk over the next four years. He won three Vezinas and three Stanley Cups, including back-to-back wins in 1954 and 1955.
Seemingly on top of the world, Sawchuk then started running into trouble. After winning the Cup in 1955, Detroit shocked everyone by trading Sawchuk to the Boston Bruins. The trade stunned Sawchuk. He started to have doubts about his abilities to play the game. He kept wondering if he was good enough despite his impressive feats.
These games going on inside of his head cause Sawchuk to falter in Boston, and his absence in Detroit caused the Red Wings to falter as well. Sawchuk would soon rejoin the Wings, and eventually regain the form that made him perhaps the greatest goalie of all time. However he remained mentally unstable. The mental stress of playing goalie in the NHL combined with an incredible amount of physical injuries took their toll on Sawchuk.
Hockey seemed to be Sawchuk's release from the stress and games going on inside his head. He is arguably the best the game has ever seen between the pipes. He played more games and seasons than anyone. He had more wins and shutouts than anyone. His amazing 103 career shutouts may never be approached again.
Terry Sawchuk died in 1970, one year later he was elected into Hockey's Hall of Fame.
HOF'er Lester "The silver fox" Patrick signed bio page
lesterau.jpg (29417 bytes)
Beginning in 1903, Lester "The Silver Fox" Patrick played a significant role in hockey history for nearly half a century. As a player, he was one of the top rushing defensemen of his day and a team leader. Patrick was also an inspirational coach and a respected team administrator. Along with his brother Frank, he pioneered the construction of artificial rinks and formed the Pacific Coast Hockey Association.
Patrick first played shinny on the frozen ponds of his native Drummondville, Quebec, before his family moved to nearby Montreal. He learned the game in the amateur leagues of Montreal but first gained fame as a star offensive blueliner with Brandon, Manitoba, of the North West Hockey League. He was a key member of the squad when it issued an unsuccessful challenge for the Stanley Cup against the Ottawa Senators in March 1904.
He returned to Montreal to play a year with the Westmount club before joining the powerful Montreal Wanderers in 1905-06. He was an instant success and helped his new club dethrone the Senators as Cup holders that same season. Patrick helped the Wanderers repeat as champions the next year. His exceptional passes benefited the likes of Ernie Russell and Cecil Blanchford.
He moved to Nelson, British Columbia, in 1907 to work in the family lumber business but continued to play on a local team. Patrick returned to the headlines with the Edmonton squad that lost a Stanley Cup challenge to the Wanderers in 1908. His brother Frank joined him at this time.
The Patrick brothers played with the Renfrew Millionaires during the inaugural season of the National Hockey Association in 1910-11. The following season, they returned to British Columbia and began plans for a new league of their own. Formed in 1911-12, the Pacific Coast Hockey Association attained a reputation on par with the NHA - and later the NHL - until it was renamed the Western Canada Hockey League. The Patricks lured away many top stars of the NHA to give their new loop instant legitimacy. Such icons as Cyclone Taylor and Newsy Lalonde thrived in the wide-open style of the PCHA. Many considered it to be the most exhilarating pro league ever.
The brothers were also innovators. They sold the lumber company to finance the construction of the country's first artificial ice rinks in Vancouver and Victoria. As a player in the PCHA, Lester Patrick skated chiefly for the Victoria Cougars but also suited up briefly for the Seattle Metropolitans and the Spokane club.
He retired in 1922 to focus on managerial responsibilities but returned to help anchor Victoria's defense in 1925-26. Following the demise of the Western Hockey League at the end of that season, he joined the expansion New York Rangers as coach and general manager after the club's brass let Conn Smythe go because they were worried he hadn't assembled a sufficiently competitive roster.
The Rangers won the Stanley Cup in the club's second year. During the finals against the Montreal Maroons, the 44-year-old Patrick saw emergency duty in goal after Lorne Chabot was injured in the second game. The Rangers won the Cup again in 1933 and Patrick continued to guide them until 1939, when he stepped aside to focus strictly on his duties as general manager. Arguably the finest bench boss of the 1930s, he earned selection as coach of the NHL First All-Star Team six times. He was on hand when the team won its third Stanley Cup in 1940 and remained its GM until 1946.
After leaving the NHL, Patrick took over the operation of the Victoria Cougars, a minor professional outfit in the Pacific Coast/Western Hockey League. He left that post for retirement in 1954. Patrick was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1947. Since 1966, the NHL has presented the Lester Patrick Award to honour a recipient's contribution to hockey in the United States.
"The Bread Line" - Bill Cook, Bun Cook and Frank Boucher signed 3 x 5
(with Butch Keeting)
rangerline.jpg (17366 bytes)
The Bread Line was one of the most famous and productive scoring trio's in all of hockey history. The Bread Line developed into one of the most formidable combinations in NHL history. They were such a perfect fit that New York coach Lester Patrick allowed them to devise plays at one end of the rink while the remainder of the team practiced down at the other. During the decade they played together, Boucher and the Cooks accumulated over 1,100 points. They led the Rangers to their first Stanley Cup in the team's second year of existence in the spring of 1928. Boucher dominated the post-season scoring with seven goals and 10 points, including both of New York's goals in the Cup-clinching 2-1 triumph over the Montreal Maroons in the final game of the best-of-five series.
Home | Hockey Autographs - Page 2
All hockey memorabilia and their images are the exclusive property of the owner and may not be reprinted, copied or used without written permission from the owner. For licensing or other questions please contact

| Site Map | Email | About Us | Contact Us |
Top of Page